May 16, 2008

No, you don't

(In an older photo, Derrek Lee tells Jim to leave the field)

Jim Edmonds, now a Cub, made this statement before his first game at Wrigley:


"I've got a lot left."


I'm going to guess he was talking about fuck ups.

You know, not that long ago I wrote a deep article on A. Jones and his failures...how his performance in any other occupation would lead to immediate firing...how any sane GM would send him to AAA. (Actually, cutting him so he has to take a job at the motor club isn't a bad idea, either). But I'll admit I wasn't ready for the Cubs to make a signing that, while not similar in terms of cash, is in terms of failure.


"Whatever they need, I'll do it for them."


Right, Jim. You do sound like a guy going from the worst team in baseball to a first place club. Just glad to be helping out, right?


"I got off to a slow start. That's the way it goes."


EXACTLY! That's the way it goes when you have nothing left. Get used to it. Hmm...maybe I should be the one getting used to it? If I was a team facing the Cubs, and knew Jim would be hitting behind Fukudome, I'd put him on base every time so Jim could ground into that double play. Everyone knows that. And all Cub fans and those in the organization kept saying that Felix Pie (Oh, if Harry was around to pronounce that name) is the future CF...that Lou and others have been working on his swing and making it better and better. Guess what? You get to go to Iowa! Because we have Washed Up Washington now on the team! Boy he's quite the "clubhouse presence!"


.181 and now in the line-up




1 comment:

Drew Boatman said...

Isn't this the same guy who couldn't play in the 2006 world series due to GODDAMNED VERTIGO???????